Statistical Investigation

LI: to read the numbers, identify the problem and suggest a possible solution.

This week, we did a statistical investigation to find out how many students in our class read books for enjoyment. We made a DLO showing the graphs and their data. We then read the numbers and looked at our data to find out the problem. We then proceeded to come up with a solution so that the class could start reading books for pleasure. 

This activity was interesting because I thought that more of the class would have read books for enjoyment.

One thought on “Statistical Investigation

1. Kia ora ONinesha!

Thank you for sharing your reflections on your class Reading for Pleasure data. My name is Naomi and I am a literacy facilitator with Manaiakalani. I agree with you that it is both interesting, and maybe even concerning, that so many of the class are not reading in their own time. There is so much research that shows the benefits of wide reading that includes increasing your knowledge of the world, vocabulary and even empathy (which is being able to put yourself in other people’s’ shoes or situation). I like your suggestion of having more time to just read what interests you and trips to the public library. Does your family use the local library at all. My dad used to take me often when I was a girl.

I look forward to your reply.

Nga mihi nui, Naomi.